Saturday 23 February 2013

Venice Trip 2013 - Part 1

Earlier this month I made my annual trip to Venice.  I really did not want to come home this time I had such a nice time.  So let's see some pics - I took nearly 2500 pics in 5 days LOL so there will have to be more than one post - here is the city first.
Lake Garda from the air.


Venice from the plane as it landed - always get
yourself a seat on the RHS of the plane to 
see the islands.


A zoom in - you can see San Georgio Maggiore
in the middle and The Salute to the far left.


Rialto Bridge/Grand Canal from the airport boat
- pity about the ugly graffiti - why???


Getting further up the Grand Canal away from 
the Rialto - the sunset gave a glorious warm glow.

Approaching The Salute - this new boat route 
(Linea Arancha) from the airport is great except 
you do not get to see the famous Venice front.


Sunset on the Grand Canal - the baggage was 
delayed an hour at the airport, so this was the 
resulting bonus!!


Passing right by The S Maria de la Salute bathed in the sunset glow.

Sunset at S Georgio Maggiore.

First beautiful sunny morning
looking across to S Georgio Mag

The Doges Palace - fab blue sky too!

The Campanile and Basilica S Marco

My avian breakfast companion on day 2!
He was right outside the window.


The Campanile and Piazza S Marco from
inside the Museo Correr.

Inside the Museo Correr

Piazza S Marco at night complete with stage
for Carnevale events.

.


The Campanile (bell tower)

I went up the Campanile and this is the
Torre de Horologico seen from up there!


San Georgio from The Campanile.

Doges Palace from The Campanile.

The S Maria de la Salute from The Campanile.

One of the many big bells up the tower -
thankfully it was just after 11am!!!

The Rialto Bridge from ground level.

The Grand Canal near The Rialto.



11 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! The sun looks amazing...we've had more snow today :-(

    Can't wait for the next installment.

    PPx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PP, it was lovely especially combined with clear skies and frosty air! SAx

      Delete
  2. How absolutely beautiful! I have never been to Venice, but would love to - maybe next year ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia - hope you are well! Yes Venice is a lovely place - can you believe I hated it the first time I went but when I got my photos back (in the days of film!!) it looked magnificent - weird or what and now I just love the place - I think it is because it is no cars and late at night there is nothing like walking through S Mark's Square and imagining it 400 years ago being more or less exactly the same. Magic! I do hope you get to go. SAx

      Delete
  3. Wow, 2500 pics in 5 days! You are a great photograph SA!
    I enjoyed very much your beautiful Venice pics (and I surely will your coming posts too). Especially, 7th sunset photo impressed me as it is like a painting of Turner or that of Claude Lorrain…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this tour of Venice, especially the arrival by boat .
    I was told it's a must to arrive by water, and so I always do . Nothing to compare with it is there ?
    And no place to compare with Venice .
    Love it in Winter, but haven't been for Carneval yet .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Iris! Haha, the reason for some many photos is that when taking photos in Venice of the carnival people you get knocked by other people pushing (it can be mad there because people crowd around the people who dress up) and the subjects move so it is necessary to take lots of photos to hopefully get one good one!!! It is so much easier these days with digital cameras to take lots - I can't imagine it now how I used to manage with my film camera! Thank you for your lovely comment about photo number 7 that is very kind and I can see what you mean! SAxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Estrella - hope you are well! Yes arrival by boat is THE best. I have done the train once but the boat is definitely the best. Carnevale is fab - so different - just like Venice - I agree incomparable! SAxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, you're making me want to visit Venice again! Sending many thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to your next installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi NN - you are most welcome - glad you have enjoyed them and i hope you like the next installment! SAx

      Delete
  8. Wonderful choice for a vacation! I am glad you enjoyed it - nice photo reportage!

    ReplyDelete